Sunday, September 4, 2011

No Place For Headphones

Some time back I viewed a very disturbing YouTube video in which a semi driver, pulling a double trailer, was weaving in and out of traffic at an excessive speed and tailgating recklessly as well. 
When the motorist who was videorecording this driver passed his truck on the left, the driver, who was drinking a beverage and wearing headphones, looked over and gave the motorist the classic "third-finger salute".
It should be noted that this trucker was driving for a major package-delivery company.

The way I look at it, just wearing headphones while driving alone ought to constitute a major offense.  If there aren't any laws against it, there should be.  Not only that, but I'd also suggest stiff penalties for such an act:  maybe $1000 fine and two points off one's license---for a first offense ...and strictly enforced.  Anything to make such a law effective.

No, I don't think that would be "too harsh a punishment" for such behavior, as I'm a full-time pedestrian and part-time bus rider ...I don't own a car or a bicycle.  I'm almost always walking whenever I go out somewhere.  And as such, I'm always having to deal with the habits of motorists, bicyclists and other pedestrians.  And I don't take very kindly to any kind of recklessness or undue impairments on the part of any motorist or bicyclist.  In fact I personally think it should be unlawful for even bicyclists to wear headphones while riding.  Even as a pedestrian I don't think it would be okay for me to be on-the-street just walking around while engaging in such ephemeral activities---I believe one should "stay alert" while out in public.  I, myself, love my music as much as anyone.  However I do all my headphone-wearing at home, in private.

No comments:

Post a Comment