Friday, August 21, 2020

 Back in the 1980s, when all those layoffs from various industries occurred, you would see images of people standing in line at the soup kitchens waiting for a free meal.


Now, in 2020, with all the business closures due to COVID-19, you once again see charitable outfits passing out "care packages" to those suffering financial loss resulting from no longer receiving paychecks, comprising food and basic essentials.


But it's not people standing in line one sees----it's a line of cars, backed up for blocks around, waiting for volunteers to walk up to their window with the goods.


There's an element of irony in observing folks in $40,000 late-model vehicles being in need of food and public assistance

...like "My God, I can't even afford to pay my cable and phone bill this month!  If it wasn't for these 'heroes' I wouldn't even have food on the table for my family!  After this month all the money will run out---I won't even be able to make my rent!

I hope the washer and dryer in the basement holds out.  I can't afford to get those fixed either.  I think I still have enough to afford gas for the car."



No comments:

Post a Comment