Tuesday, March 13, 2018

                                      Meted out discreetly
I remember donating plasma back in the late 70s through the 80s, before they started using the automated preprogrammed machines, when the phlebotomists themselves would affix a bag to a scale and tie a tourniquet around the donor's arm to stimulate blood flow.  Then, after separating the red cells from the white ones, return the red ones to the donor, then repeat the process one more time.

Sometimes the phlebotomist would wrap the tourniquet around my arm a little too tight and it would turn purple and I'd lose the feeling in my forearm, wrist and fingers. Finally the bag would drop (at long last), I'd have to shout "Bag down!", and a phlebotomist passing by would pull the tourniquet and retrieve the bag, thus relieving me of my "moment of distress and anguish".

My feeling about a lot of laws is similar to how I felt about that tourniquet when it was wrapped around my arm too tight:  That a lot of written laws and regulations are just that---wa-a-a-ay-y-y-y "too tight".  They need to be loosened up a bit.  Not eliminated, but just not so tight to the point where they're "choking the life out of us".

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have me curious about whatever it was you were trying to say to me

      Delete
  2. Stay away from those automatic blood pressure monitors. The cuff feels like it's going to cut through your arm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This world never seems to get anything quite right, does it?

      Delete