Saturday, June 30, 2018

The age of Unbridled Anarchism

What is it with so many people these days anyway?

At a downtown intersection the signs clearly state NO TURNS BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 7:00 A.M. AND 6:00 P.M. MON-FRI
...yet, at around noontime or 1:00 P.M. or so I'll see one asshole turning right and another turning left, even with a plethora of pedestrians crossing.  Not to mention the signs are supplemented by additional ones with those cartoon arrows inside a circle with a slash across them.

...and idiots who play basketball on public sidewalks, tossing the ball back and forth across the street to each other---on a major boulevard, with heavy motor vehicle traffic.
What's the deal?  Not enough parks in the city to play in?

...and idiot skateboarders who cruise down the middle of the main drags, tying up traffic.


I remember when I was hitchhiking all over the country back in 1979, how vigilant the merchants and restaurants were toward loitering.
One night I was "stranded" at a Denny's in a Los Angeles suburb off the Interstate (maybe I-5 or I-405), trying to nurse a cup of coffee for as long as I could.
After a couple of hours or so the waitress at the counter---not a manager, but the waitress, mind you----went all "gestapo" on me and warned me that "we don't allow loitering here" and that I'd better get on my way.
...and she was NOT very friendly about it either.  In fact she was militant, menacing, and a bit threatening and intimidating.
One note:  Back then this was actually quite the norm, not the exception.  Especially if you looked like a "bum" or "no-count" type.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to say I've never experienced people playing basketball on public sidewalks or pavements either in the States or here in the UK. In AZ you never see anyone walking anywhere, it's too damn hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about littering, or bicyclists racing on the sidewalk, or red light runners, or littering?

      Delete
  2. I'm essentially making a statement on how upsetting it is when I witness others getting away with doing things however they damn well please
    ...and how it contrasts with all the times society seems to suddenly "remember where it keeps the law books" whenever I get the notion to "push the envelope" myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I ride my bicycle on the the sidewalk because there's too many idiots driving cars. I pedal slow and yield to pedestrians, getting off my bike and walking on the lawn. There's cyclists who race by me when I'm pedestrian, almost clipping me from behind. They never get caught but I won't be surprised if I get a ticket even though I'm cautious when riding.

    ReplyDelete