Friday, November 1, 2019

Search (In Vain) Engines

What's with all these internet search engines lately?

I type in "is public transportation in the u.s. degenerating?" and I get a list of websites about the local bus system along with medical sites about degenerative diseases.

...or I type in "are civil laws and penalties in the u.s. getting too strict?" and it displays a list of law firms, lawyers, or the web sites of law schools and different universities.

I always contended the algorithms and automation systems are only worth the character and knowledge levels of whoever programs them.
The more myopic and prejudice the programmers, the more limited your choices or options when using their programs.

2 comments:

  1. The book: How To Find Out Anything by Don MacLeod is a great source for effectively navigating the Google search engine. You should be able to pick a good used copy on Amazon fairly cheap. It covers using the Google advance search template and gives other sources of info outside of the web.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was using Bing, for the record. But my luck with the likes of Duck-Duck-Go hasn't been much better.
    I'm implying that the internet search engines are ...shall we say ...rigged.

    ReplyDelete