Wednesday, February 4, 2015

After being told I would "need an operation" to correct a certain medical problem, I had to see the person in charge of setting appointments.


During this brief session she gave me a date for the operation but couldn't yet set a specific time, stating "they would call me the day before (the operation) to let me know exactly what time to come in".
And that I "would need a ride to and from the appointment" as well.


To which I replied:  Is it really necessary that I have a ride?  I can't, like, take a cab to and from here?  I don't like the idea of "imposing" on others.  They might already have plans of their own or they might be out of town on that date.  (Not to mention) I can't even give them a specific time at which to arrive on that date.


I remember her looking really confused and perplexed as I was saying all this (really taken aback by my response), and then replying:  "You'll find (that) if you check around you can usually find somebody who's available to take you."


As luck would have it I WAS able to get a ride to and from with a close friend of a relative.
However:  What IF this person had prior commitments and couldn't help me out in this instance?


That's the thing about people like this lady.
They're so used to having close friends and associates who'll do favors for them as "friends" they just take for granted that it's an overall norm for everyone else as well.


That's the thing about any kind of privilege.  Nobody ever thinks of themselves as being "favored" or that society might be showing any kind of partiality towards them.  They must figure everyone gets the same opportunities to "go through college" and get a crack at earning 5-to-6-digit incomes.  Or that "everyone should travel abroad and visit Europe or Asia at least once in their lifetime".  Or try to "get laid" at least a couple times a week to relieve tension.


Most people are either so smug and self-assured or they go through life somewhat clueless, taking everything so much for granted.  Whatever experiences they have in life they figure to be somehow universal.


No-one ever seriously considers the possibility they may be among the "trophy pricks" and "trophy cunts" of the world, or that a lot of whatever amenities they enjoy without a second thought could simply be "gifts" bestowed upon them by a society that considers them to be "precious" or "valuable", and that not everybody receives those certain benefits from their society due to their society viewing them as being "second class" or somewhat "useless" and "worthless".

5 comments:

  1. What you mean some people get to have sex twice a week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply making fun of a stereotypical perception of "average" type people.
    I'm more an "observer" than a participant and I often describe things the way they LOOK to me. How they actually are is probably another story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment was slightly sarcastic, that's all, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. Okay.
    I'm such an oddball and that's why I can't think to compare myself or my life to that of most others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I feel like that myself. I may come across as fairly normal but I'm totally screwed up really. :D

    ReplyDelete