Tuesday, October 31, 2017

             Investment vs. mere purchasing
When I purchase clothes, electronic appliances, shoes, dishware, or any other item I anticipate having for the long run I'm always hoping for at least some degree of longevity from them.

Few things are more despairing than paying $90 for a pair of shoes that can't make it even a year without either the soles wearing down completely or separating from the frame itself.
Likewise, appliances or electronics that start malfunctioning when only two or three years old.

Maybe I'm just too persnickety, or just not realistic or whatever, but, outside of really basic items---like shampoo, cleaning supplies, food, toothpaste, shaving razors, and the like---I'd like to think I'm more "making an investment" when I buy the more "serious" items than just simply "making another purchase".

It unnerves me to think the industry is only making everything under the sun "expendable", and the concept of "investing" completely eludes them in their quest for accumulating as much wealth as they can (presumably within the prescribed legal limits).
The industries seem to be little more than "profit vacuums", always going after wealth as if it were some kind of "precious jewels" to seek after and collect as treasures or mantel pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment