Thursday, January 3, 2019

                                        Hobson's Choice
Think how many different products there used to be on the market.
Think of all the products you used to buy on a regular basis that don't exist anymore, that are no longer even manufactured or produced.

Then think about the current consumer market in its present form
...how many varieties of toothpaste there are
...or how  many types of shampoos there are
...or how you get to choose either the regular Oreo cookies or Club crackers or the fat-free or low-sodium versions
...or even how challenging it is to simply buy new batteries for your remote control or your flashlight
...or, even, standard DVDs or Blu-Ray DVDs

I just want to buy toothpaste to clean my teeth with
...I just want to buy shampoo to wash my hair with
...and if I can't handle the ingredients in Oreo cookies and Club crackers in their original unadulterated form them I'll just have to learn to do without them.

2 comments:

  1. Bin bags, or what you call trash bags is the thing that bugs me so much. Bags for skinny tall bins, wide short bins, with tie handles, with draw pull handles, standard bags, heavy weight bags, bags for recycling. It's endless. Oh and don't start me on loo rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Freedom of choice" seems to be defined not by offering a honest array of various products, but rather by offering numerous versions of what's essentially the same product.

    ReplyDelete