Thursday, June 12, 2014

I-I-I'm Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-ack!

Holy Poltergeist! So much for my alleged "hiatus". Just as well. As the adage goes: I don't promise ANYTHING!

I've discussed the issue of "Invent-A-Laws" before. Those are the type of laws that have nothing to do with ethics or public safety, such as laws against theft or murder. They're concocted solely for the purpose of favoritism toward select factions or to supplement social or provincial standards or prejudices ("Jim Crow" laws are a perfect example), or just for the purpose of some kind of social control.

Those restaurants and bars with the signs on the bathroom doors: RESTROOMS ARE FOR CUSTOMERS ONLY. If you have to go desperately and defy the signs because the only alternative would be going outside which is also unlawful, would they actually have you arrested and prosecuted?
A "Criminal Trespass" charge would imply you "have no respect for the rights, property and possessions of others".
That's one of the issues I have with Invent-A-Laws. The way they "criminalize" individuals who are actually just average middle-of-the-road good-natured types.

No comments:

Post a Comment